The pre-workout category booms in January. Are you ready for it? Read on for insider tips on how to formulate your next pre-workout and how to differentiate with new ingredients at effective doses for your target audience.
Questions for formulating a pre-workout:
1. Who is my target market?
2. Does this market want a stim-pre, non-stim pump pre, or fully-dosed pre?
3. Why do muscles fail? Which of the four verticals listed below do I want to attack?
4. Does my target market want a beta-alanine tingle, no tingle, or effective beta-alanine dosing?
5. What new trends, ingredients* or research exists?
Why do muscles fail? It's best explained by these 4 verticals:
1. Depletion of ATP and/or glycogen
2. Accumulation of hydrogen ions from lactate
3. Muscle contraction failure due to ATP-dependent calcium release/uptake
4. Oxidative stress (excess free radicals) causing muscle damage
Trends to Consider:
1. Full-dosed: it's no secret that 20 serving fully-dosed PWOs are on a tear and selling well
2. Noops: nootropics/cognitive/focus continue to loom large as we consider the mind's role in physical performance
3. Regulatory compliance/research: every year, GNC, Vitamin Shoppe and others become more stringent about the ingredients used, how the product is labeled and more...
a. These large retailers are also reviewing claims, so ensuring the products' dosing is right is much more important than in the past
b. While GNC and Shoppe are ahead of others regulatorily, look for Amazon to slowly develop the capability to enforce its own regulatory rules
4. Internet: Amazon is responsible for ~80% of all online supplement sales, and online supplement sales growth far exceeding offline growth; thus, an online strategy is more important than ever
*Call us regarding new ingredients and research on TeaCrine, VASO6, PeakO2, Dynamine, goBHB and more.